Automated Choke Valve PLC Programming Helps Client
Last year a leading Appalachian gas producer wanted to add choke valve automation to their six natural gas well sites in Ohio.
The Microsoft Power Platform is a digital innovation player that has quietly built a library of easy-to-use examples for all kinds of productivity and data tracking initiatives. The Engineering Services team at Strata Innovative Solutions is thinking outside the box, sharing the news with clients about this beneficial low-code/no-code platform solution.
“Many businesses are understandably cautious about investing money in a pricy enterprise-data management program just to solve what may be considered “less-consequential,” says Mike Flores, Project Account Manager for Strata Innovative Solutions. This app solution is something many haven’t considered.
Once a team walks through the Power Platform app setup, a process that takes days, not weeks, to achieve, they are impressed with how easily the program works. The platform is quickly proving itself as a tool that directly impacts the bottom line, and it’s changed the way our clients are looking at both simple and complex data transformation.”
Strata Innovative Solutions provided customized PLC programming through optimized PID blocks and algorithms for a client’s choke control application that included:
- A ramp opening sequence to Turner Critical Flow Rate at an adjustable rate
- Choke closed loop control (once critical flow is reached, after the adjustable delay period is satisfied) with the following parameters –
- Primary Control- Flow Rate
- Override Controls that included –
- Minimum Pressure
- Minimum Temperature
- Maximum DP
- Maximum Tank Level
- Normalization of reported choke output position, according to the choke vendor’s specified command step table with a +/- 1% threshold
- “Bump-less” transition from primary to override control and vice versa, to prevent the well from tripping too often due to varying operating conditions
- Simplification of the well start-up process to lessen the time operators needed to spend at the wellsite optimizing the well flow
Strata completed the phases necessary to convert and commission the system including custom PLC and HMI programming and testing the application code before implementation. Additionally, a Lavoro QLogix controller was incorporated to provide high resolution trending and reporting.
If you wonder whether you’re getting the most out of your current assets, give Strata a call. We’d be happy to help you identify ways you can enhance your automation program and further optimize your production process.